b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Hebrew Computing list <hebrewcomputing AT yahoogroups.com>, Biblical Languages <biblical-languages AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Michael Everson <everson AT evertype.com>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:18:01 -0700

On 18/07/2003 15:39, Michael Everson wrote:

I do not prefer either proposal (and I say that in the STRONGEST possible terms). I think we should get IETF to bite the bullet and change the properties of these characters. Discussions with Harald Alvestrand have not been a dead end so far. In WG2, I will oppose the addition of duplicate characters to the standard.

What the Biblical scholastic community has to do is shout LOUDLY "Fix the combining properties of the 17 characters and do it NOW". Please organize yourselves into formal letters with many signatures giving your names and affiliations.

Best regards,

Michael, who is one of the main architects of Unicode, tried to post this in response to my posting. I support his attempt to put together this petition. It would indeed be the best solution to adjust these combining properties so that they properly reflect the requirements of biblical as well as modern etc Hebrew. I had understood that this had been definitely ruled out, but it now seems that if there is enough support for it it might be possible to push this through. Of course we don't want to rush this, as we want to make sure that any change actually makes things correct.

I still hold that, if such a change is not possible, my alternative proposal is significantly better than the one I was responding to.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com