b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Everson <everson AT evertype.com>
  • To: peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Hebrew Computing list <hebrewcomputing AT yahoogroups.com>, Biblical Languages <biblical-languages AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:39:32 +0100

I do not prefer either proposal (and I say that in the STRONGEST possible terms). I think we should get IETF to bite the bullet and change the properties of these characters. Discussions with Harald Alvestrand have not been a dead end so far. In WG2, I will oppose the addition of duplicate characters to the standard.

What the Biblical scholastic community has to do is shout LOUDLY "Fix the combining properties of the 17 characters and do it NOW". Please organize yourselves into formal letters with many signatures giving your names and affiliations.

Best regards,
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com