b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Peter Constable <peter_constable AT SIL.ORG>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 05:53:03 -0700

On 19/07/2003 05:05, Jason Hare wrote:

Kirk,

I kinda wanted to avoid this topic b/c of its
complexity. I use Unicode (via Charsets) in writing my
webpages since I deal with Hebrew. I see the
difficulty involved in using the present Israeli fonts
because I have to use ALT functions to insert vowels.
It's quite problematic (yet, do-able), but I can see
value in upgrading the whole of the system so that it
is more functional. HOWEVER, should that upgrade
include a separation from modern Israeli typesetting
in Unicode? I would venture that it should NOT. And my
reasoning behind it is like others on the list...
continuity. I already have four keyboards installed on
my system (EN GR AR HE), so to use yet another to
distinguish between Israeli and Biblical Hebrew is a
little out-of-the-way and sordid, if you ask me. I
should hate to have to DOUBLE code my pages (or make
duplicate pages... or some other absurd solution) so
that I can use both Israeli and Biblical Hebrew on my
site!!

Thanks for the info,
Jason Hare

jason AT jhronline.com
http://www.jhronline.com

Thank you, Jason. Part of your problem could be solved by defining and using a non-standard keyboard package, e.g. the one available (for the PC) with the SIL Hebrew Unicode Font System (www.sil.org) plus Keyman (www.tavultesoft.com). But such a solution would be broken if the proposal goes ahaead to distinguish modern and biblical Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com