b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:03:47 -0700

On 18/07/2003 11:28, Trevor Peterson wrote:

===== Original Message From Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net> =====
When it comes to words like yerushalaim, I have typed this word dozens of
times in a regular TTF simply by a little creative use of the furtive patah.
Most fonts that I know of include variations on the vowel points in order to
align with narrow letters and such, and I would hope that Unicode fonts do
something similar. So I suspect that the means to resolve these minor issues
already exists without creating a whole new set.

Peter can probably give a more intelligent answer here, but in my limited experience using Unicode fonts so far, I don't think there are alternate forms of vowel points built in. But if I understand correctly, the issue here is not whether multiple points will fit but what order they come out in. It sounds like there's something in Unicode that automatically sorts these multiple "diacritics" in a certain order, so that they end up misconfigured.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

I wish I had been able to summarise it so well, Trevor.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com