b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:47:45 -0600

On Friday 18 July 2003 09:49, Peter Kirk wrote:
> No, I am not making allegations of another anti-Semitic or anti-Israel
> plot. There are no Hamans to be unmasked and hanged. The people involved
> have the best of intentions, to provide proper computer support for
> biblical Hebrew. But what they propose has the effect of requiring
> biblical Hebrew to be encoded on computers in a different and
> incompatible way from modern Hebrew. That is, they are proposing to
> erect an artificial barrier between biblical and modern Hebrew. The
> proposal will also disable existing Hebrew software from handling the
> biblical text.

[snip]
Peter,
The problem passages you mentioned strike me as not only trivial, but the
kind
that should be encoded differently in the first place (with the possible
exception of yerushalaim and perhaps a couple of others). Most of the
instances of varied metheg placement, for example, look a lot like scribal
errors to me. Perhaps the proposers should keep in mind that BHS is based on
a single medieval manuscript and includes all of that manuscript's freckles
and warts. If we airbrush those blemishes away, most of the basis for this
suggestion vanishes with them. Since BH, MishH and ModH all use the same
script, it's counterproductive to encode them differently, not to say silly.

When it comes to words like yerushalaim, I have typed this word dozens of
times in a regular TTF simply by a little creative use of the furtive patah.
Most fonts that I know of include variations on the vowel points in order to
align with narrow letters and such, and I would hope that Unicode fonts do
something similar. So I suspect that the means to resolve these minor issues
already exists without creating a whole new set.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft supports further proprietary
obfuscation...

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur