b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Peter Constable <peter_constable AT SIL.ORG>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:05:29 -0700

On 18/07/2003 09:34, Yigal Levin wrote:

Dear Peter,

While I must admit that the technical aspects of Unicode are lost on me,
I've had enough experience with Hebrew software being incompatible with
other Hebrew software to understand the problem. My feeling is, that many
of the academics who deal with Biblical Hebrew are incapable of, and have
no wish to, read anything in non-Biblical Hebrew, modern or otherwise, and
so they treat BH as if it were an isolated corpus. Would a scholar of, say,
Medieval French, ever dare admit that he could not read a scholarly paper
in modern French?

As for Microsoft (and others), I fear that their agenda is to always
develop new software that is incompatible with the old, in order to force
everyone to "upgrade".

Yigal