b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Rahab's Guests

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Rahab's Guests
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:59:11 -0700

On 14/07/2003 16:50, Jim West wrote:

At 04:05 PM 7/14/03 -0400, you wrote:

Perhaps you should investigate the cultural context prior to being so defamatory.

Paul H. Belanger

Interesting comment. What it fails to recognize is that the cultural
context demands a rather harsh judgment on the actions of these women. It
is only a modern deification of biblical characters which blinds eisegetes
into seeing angels where there are none. And where the biblical authors
intended us to see none.
It is, however, fairly common in some circles to denounce interpretations of
texts which do not harmonize with piety.

Jim

Jim West
Quartz Hill School of Theology
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

I agree with you, Jim, except that this kind of deification is not just modern. It is certainly attested in ancient times. I don't want to give some of the clearest examples as they might offend Christians and Muslims. But arguably the process had started already when the books of Chronicles were written, as they considerably clean up the mixed pictures of David and Solomon found in Samuel and Kings.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com