b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:06:28 -0500

> We know that "I, Claudius" is fiction because we know who the author is
> (Robert Graves) and when know when it was written. We don't know either of
> these things about Qohelet.
>
> There are some sections in the wisdom portions of Qohelet which don't sound
> to us moderns and postmoderns like the words of a fabulously rich King with
> too many wives, for example Eccl. 4:1-3,5:7-8 (English 5:8-9), 10:20.

Isn’t this just another modernist or post-modernist expectation that we are
forcing onto a historical person? I mean, after all, here is a super achiever
looking back over his life’s work, and realizing that some day all of it
would be ruins or worse. What then is his legacy?

Chapter 2 really brings out the futility, where death is the great equalizer
that will make him no better than a fool and all his work will be in the
hands of others who, for all he knows, could tear it all down. Death will
still his mouth so he can no longer speak for himself, and stop his hands
from further construction, and what he left behind will be in the control of
others who may have no appreciation for all the effort that went into their
construction.

In the case of Solomon, none of the buildings that he built are still
standing, and we have only a small fraction of his aphorisms collected into
Proverbs (total number he had in 1 Kings 5:12). His negative assessment of
his legacy was accurate. It was futile.

Karl W. Randolph.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup