b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Martin A. Shields" <mshields AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Liz Fried <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:00:15 +1000

On 27/6/03 1:15 AM, Liz Fried at lizfried AT umich.edu wrote:

> I have not read Longman's book, but does the arguement have to do with the
> use
> of first person?

Longman defines autobiography (in part) by saying "The composition must be
written in the first person and include reminiscences of the past life of
the first-person narrator." (Fictional Akkadian Autobiography, pp 40-41)

So it isn't enough that the text is framed in the first person, it needs to
make reference to the past life of the narrator.

He also includes a small section on previous research into FAAs, so I guess
others have recognised the genre as well.

Regards,

Martin Shields.