b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:39:06 -0700

Liz Fried wrote:

On 27/6/03 1:15 AM, Liz Fried at lizfried AT umich.edu wrote:

I have not read Longman's book, but does the argument have to

do with the use

of first person?

Longman defines autobiography (in part) by saying "The composition must be
written in the first person and include reminiscences of the past life of
the first-person narrator." (Fictional Akkadian Autobiography, pp 40-41)

So it isn't enough that the text is framed in the first person,
it needs to
make reference to the past life of the narrator.

I guess that leaves out Ezra and Nehemiah then.

Not really. Presumably Nehemiah wrote chapter 1 some time after the events, or whoever did write it was thinking in terms of these being past events. So these are autobiographical reminiscences. It doesn't leave out all psalms either e.g. 37:25.

<snip>

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com