b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 tohu ubohu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 tohu ubohu
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:35:58 -0500

Dear Liz:

OH, oh, it looks as if I stumbled into a question that is more theological
than linguistic. It isn’t the first time.

I believe that it is important to analyse the Bible by dispassionate
linguistic rules first, then let the theological chips fall where they will.
But when people have strongly held theological positions, apparently that is
a threat that needs to be defused and linguistics is an easy target.

Well,… I’m on record on another board (theology, not linguistics) for saying
that I believe that Gesenius and his disciples BDB were wrong on several
words, and they were animated by their theological position that overrode
their linguistic scruples. That’s why I asked this question in the first
place. I have other words and phrases with similar questions.

Karl W. Randolph.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup