b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 tohu ubohu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 tohu ubohu
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:58:23 -0400

At 08:45 PM 5/22/03 -0400, you wrote:

>>But when people have strongly held
>> theological positions, apparently that is a threat that needs to
>> be defused and linguistics is an easy target.
>
>It's more that people can't tell the difference. They simply assume
>that the linguistics supports their theology.

"people" is used here in a broad way isn't it Liz? Are you including some,
most, or all? Are you excluding yourself? As the latins remind us-
pericula latet in generalibus....
Not everyone allows their presuppositions (and EVERYONE has them) to unduly
influence their interpretation- but only the most naive believe that
interpretation can take place in a vacuum or a sterile environment.

>Oh good, let's hear them.
>These lists thrive on discord!

I think they live on concord- which never really exists cuz whenever ya have
two people in a room you get at least three opinions.

>Maybe there are some arguments afoot that we haven't had yet.

There's nothing new under the sun.... not even ideas.
Someone has said it or thought it before.

Best

Jim (still wounded from Liz's "pace") ;-)

Jim West

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

Quantum ad sensum tribuis, tantum spiritui detraxeris- Zwingli.