b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 tohu ubohu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 tohu ubohu
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:53:19 -0500

Dear All:

In Genesis 1:2 there is the phrase thw wbhw (tohu ubohu), what does it mean?

Bohu occurs only three times in Tenakh, each time in connection with tohu.

Tohu occurs about 20 times in Tenakh. From its contexts I get the impression
that it refers to lifeless, as in uninhabited. In Isaiah 44:9 idols are made
of silver, lifeless (uninhabited) in contrast to Israel’s living God. Also 1
Samuel 12:21. Other times it refers to uninhabited ruins after the towns or
cities have been overthrown by enemies, e.g. Isaiah 24:10. In Job 26:7 the
far north seems to be an uninhabited place, as well as the wilderness
(Deuteronomy 32:10).

>From its connection to tohu, I get the impression that bohu refers to the
>stillness of an uninhabited (by humans) place. (The opposite is a crowd,
>referred to as a “hubbub” (hmwn) for its constant restless motion and noise.)

Hence, in Genesis 1:2 the translation would be more accurately rendered, “And
the earth came into being lifeless (uninhabited) and still, and darkness upon
the face of the depths, and (my next question).

Am I missing something? I’ve had all of one year (two semesters) Hebrew class
dimly remembered from 30+ years ago.

Thanks youall.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup