b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] m'odekha: strength or fanaticism?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] m'odekha: strength or fanaticism?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:53:24 -0500

Welcome online.

In looking at the New Testament, there are three verses that quote this
verse: Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:29–30 and Luke 10:27. All of them use the Greek
“dianoia” meaning “mind, intention, will”. The Mark and Luke quotations add
“ischuos” meaning “strength, ability”.

Your question brings up a good point—there seems to be a three step
progression in the verse: from “all your heart” to “all your being” to “all
your excess”. How many of us actually follow that?

Good question. I hadn’t thought of that before.

Karl W. Randolph.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup