b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] m'odekha: strength or fanaticism?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] m'odekha: strength or fanaticism?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 05:54:55 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings to all. This is my first post on this list.
My family and I recently returned stateside from 4 ½
years studying in Israel. In fact, Randy Buth was one
of my profs there (SHALOM LEKHA, ADON), … but if I say
anything terribly ignorant, the fault lies with me
alone. That said, I was recently thinking about
M’ODEKHA in Deu. 6:5, and how unsatisfactory a
translation “your strength” seems to be there. Now I
realize that the English and other versions take their
cues from the LXX’s DUNAMEOS, but it still doesn’t
appear to have enough “oomph” for the way M’OD is used
elsewhere in the Tanakh, usually with a sense of
“extremely” or “exceedingly.” So the thought hit me--
and I’ll put it out there for you all to chew on and
then, if need be you can chew me too—how would a
translation like “all your *zeal*” or even “all your
*extremism* [or *fanaticism*]” fit with the immediate
context and the Bible’s use of M’OD elsewhere?
-- Michael Millier