b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] RE: Transliteration Schemes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] RE: Transliteration Schemes
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:41:54 +1100

Thank you, Charles. I appreciate your point about the centrality of the
Hebrew script to Jewish culture and history. I would hope that anyone
learning Hebrew is also learning to appreciate this culture and history,
certainly not to denigrate them or impose other beliefs. I applaud you
for fostering this appreciation among non-Jews. And this in itself is a
good reason to learn the Hebrew script.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

Dalet or
> th for Tav without daghesh, etc., ad naseum. Do you really think
these
> are
> easy for English students?
> Here is a trick I use. Any vowel with dots is in the EE, EH, class.
If
> there is a line, it is in the AH class. If it is over or in the
letter,
> it
> is in the OO, UH class. OK, I save Qibbutz and Hateph Qamatz--hey I
have
> make a living! But you would be surprised how quickly this
simplification
> works to get students started reading.
> Now the te'amim. We do not ignore them. We note their physical shape
> [are
> you aware that in some traditions a Gabbai gave hand signals to the
Ba'al
> Qore' to indicate the points?] and show how they are generally
indicative
> of
> connectors [mehaberim] or separators [mafsikim], rather easily
ascertained
> by the SHAPEs they take. Incidentally, my classes, 90% non-Jewish
SING