b-hebrew - Re: Long-nosed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Long-nosed
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:37:57 +0200

All I have handy here is my BDB CD-ROM, which lists all occurrences of the words I've indicated. The entry for harah translates "burn, be kindled, of anger", and compares with cognates: Aramaic Pa'el, cause fire to burn; Arabic (which I unfortunately can't read), "burning sensation, in throqt, etc..haron is translated as (burning of) anger; it can occur alone or in combination with 'af. My guess is that haron as anger is a short form of haron 'af. hori, "burning", always occurs with 'af..
BDB gives as the opposite of 'erekh 'apayim - qetsar ruah,m "short of wind/breath" or 'i$ hemah.
As for the secondary literature, you'll have to do a library search! I suggest you start with HAL (the latest English version of Koehler-Baumgartner).
Hope this helps,
Jonathan