b-hebrew - RE: Gen 12:8 Beth'el

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 12:8 Beth'el
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:34:11 -0400

>===== Original Message From Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
=====
>Yes. As you no doubt have noticed I've already been
>challenged on the 'later' comment. I'm afraid I was
>sticking somewhat stubbornly to a Bible Maximalist
>point of view, that there is some (if not total) truth
>in the earlier (as far as the narrative) account of
>pre-canaanite YHWH worship, Seth etc.

And I'm not trying to take a position here or there on it. I just wanted to
point out in as harmless a way as possible that the biblical texts seem to
put
both legitimate and illegitimate worship at the site at different times.

>Guys. I don't want to get into a lengthy debate about
>archaeology and which date suits who best. I just
>wanted to hypothesise as to whether the "beth" could
>literally have been a building and whether or not it
>could conceivably have been associated with the
>worship of YHWH.

Well, considering that even the biblical texts give the impression that
Abraham's worship was innovative, I guess I wouldn't look too hard for prior
Yahwism. As for archaeology, I think it's worthwhile at least to look at
whether there's evidence of a cultic structure from the relevant periods. I'm
not even talking about trying to figure out whether there was something there
at the supposed time of Abraham. But if, as some have already suggested, the
closest we can come is the stone age, I wouldn't expect bet to indicate an
actual structure.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics