b-hebrew - RE: Gen 12:8 Beth'el

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 12:8 Beth'el
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:57:39 +0100 (BST)

Thanks Liz. Good to hear from you.

Doesn't this cause a problem when Ge 31:13 is taken
into account though?
"I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the
pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now
arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto
the land of thy kindred."

Would YHWH allow his name to be associated with a
place of pagan worship? Bethel seems to figure quite
prominently post Abraham as a place where YHWH is
worshiped.

This passage seems to make the view even foggier:
Ge 35:7 And he built there an altar, and called the
place Elbethel: because there God appeared unto him,
when he fled from the face of his brother.

Perhaps I should contemplate two questions.
1. Is there assumed a building at the place called
Bethel?
2. Is the God associated with the place YHWH before
and after Abraham?

Thanks.
Ian.

Good morning.