b-hebrew - Re: Gen 12:8 Beth'el

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 12:8 Beth'el
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:25:41 -0400

At 01:55 PM 8/21/2002 -0400, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

>There is no problem at all.
>
>There is only one G-d, Creator of everything - if anyone thought they were
>worshipping someone else at Beth El, it is still G-d who is the G-d of
>everything everywhere, including Beth El
>
>El is one more name of G-d, also one which we may not pronounce in vain,
>destroy something it is written on, etc.

Without intending to get into a theological debate with Shoshanna, her last
sentance made me wonder: DOES the Bible use "El" as a proper name for YHWH
as it certainly does use "Elohim", or does it only use it as a generic
"god"? Any thoughts?

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga