b-hebrew - Gen 12:8 Beth'el

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Gen 12:8 Beth'el
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:28:32 +0100 (BST)

Good Afternoon Ladies/Gentlemen.

As a thought, what do we know of Bethel - the House of
God?
It is mentioned in Genesis 12:8 and elsewhere, but no
explanation is previously given for its existence that
I can see.

We know that Abraham called on the name of YHWH, but
Bethel seems to pre-exist Abraham.
Would "beyt" in this instance therefore refer to a
building as it is given as a geographical reference
point?

If so is this an indicator of structured worship of
YHWH before the patriarchal period going back to the
time of Noah and perhaps to Gen 4:26 Seth and Enosh?
"men began to call on to call on the name of YHWH"

I'm not suggesting there was a building at this point
(Seth's lifetime), but could there have been one at
Abraham's time associated with the worship of El/YHWH.

I'm just curious really as to whether or not there
could have been a building given to the worship of
YHWH before Abraham's lifetime.

Any thoughts?
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b