b-hebrew - RE: Gen 12:8 Beth'el

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 12:8 Beth'el
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:11:03 -0400

>===== Original Message From Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
=====
>Would YHWH allow his name to be associated with a
>place of pagan worship? Bethel seems to figure quite
>prominently post Abraham as a place where YHWH is
>worshiped.

And later still (meaning by "later" nothing more than the narrative sequence
of the primary history) as the place where Jeroboam sets up his calf image,
which apparently was a center of (rejected) Israelite worship further down
the
line.

[snipped]

>Perhaps I should contemplate two questions.
>1. Is there assumed a building at the place called
>Bethel?

Is there any reason to think so other than the term bet in the name?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics