b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew Syntax.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew Syntax.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:04:16 +0100

Rolf, I would not claim that Longacre etc had no working hypothesis re
WAYYIQTOL etc. It is clear that they have, and so do I. I trust that
they have arrived at it (as I believe I have) by proper consideration of
the relevant evidence (including a balanced consideration, based on
detailed study of phonology, of the comparative Semitic evidence). But
it would be unreasonable to expect them to go into this in detail in
every article in every collection; for the sake of space and time they
may sometimes simply state their working hypothesis. I suspect you and
they are also working from different definitions of aspect and
Aktionsart – which is not surprising as your definition of aspect (or at
least how you relate it to Hebrew) seems to be unique to yourself.

There are many differences between presuppositions and working
hypotheses. One is that one is prepared to examine the evidence against
a working hypothesis and if necessary abandon that hypothesis. Are you
prepared to abandon your position on WAYYIQTOL etc if enough evidence
against it is presented?

Peter Kirk