b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew Syntax.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew Syntax.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:36:44 +0200

Title: RE: Hebrew Syntax.

Dear discourse analysts,

Today I have been working with all the examples of BW) ("to come in") realized as YIQTOLs with past reference. To illustrate the influence of discourse analysis on Bible translation, I invite you to analyse 2 Samuel 15:37 by help of this method and any other method you deem fit.

Question: Do you prefer the first group of renderings, and in that case, why? Or do you prefer the second group of renderings, and in that case, why?

NIV So David's friend Hushai arrived at Jerusalem as Absalom was entering the city.

NLT So David's friend Hushai returned to Jerusalem, getting there just as Absalom arrived.

NRSV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city, just as Absalom was entering Jerusalem.

RSV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city, just as Absalom was entering Jerusalem.

KJV So Hushai David's friend came into the city, and Absalom came into Jerusalem.

 ASV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city; and Absalom came into Jerusalem.

LUTHER  So kam Huschai, der Freund Davids, in die Stadt. Und Absalom zog in Jerusalem ein.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo