b-hebrew - RE: discourse analysis and circular reasoning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: discourse analysis and circular reasoning
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:04:16 +0100

Rolf, part of your criticism here may be simply that you are using a
different linguistic framework from those you criticise. You attempt to
make a rigid separation between semantics and pragmatics, and you set up
a concept of "linguistic convention" which you define as being part of
pragmatics rather than semantics. But it is by no means obvious that
humans do actually use "linguistic conventions" without any actual
meaning or semantic component. If there are inherited patterns of verb
use within a language, those patterns are susceptible to analysis. Where
such patterns cannot be related directly to sentence level phenomena
e.g. tense, aspect and modality of a verb, the analysis of these
patterns is discourse analysis. You may not like some scholars' analyses
of these patterns in Hebrew, but you cannot deny that analysis of them
is a proper procedure. And there is no obvious reason to deny that these
patterns are linked to the speaker's intended meaning.

As for Niccacci's reasoning, if he started with a working hypothesis
(e.g. that there are five conjugations) and then confirmed this
hypothesis, this does not mean that his method was suspect, but rather
that he started with a shrewd idea (or, in principle, a lucky guess).

Peter Kirk