b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew Syntax.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew Syntax.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:04:16 +0100

Moon, may I answer you here as one also trained originally in science
and who then worked as an engineer. In most branches of science, if a
hypothesis has a 96% or 97% fit with the observed facts (as here), the
general truth of that hypothesis is considered rather strongly
indicated. Of course one then needs to look at the remaining results.
They may be spurious or corrupted (cf. here the text may be corrupt);
but one would need to look into whether that is reasonable. Or one might
find that this small residue of results can be accounted for by making
adjustments to the hypothesis. Sometimes it might be necessary to leave
the hypothesis as incomplete and uncertain because a residue of results
has not been accounted for. But I am sure no scientist would reject a
hypothesis completely because of a 3-4% discrepancy.

Peter Kirk