b-hebrew - RE: bereshit (still)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit (still)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:04:40 -0000

Ian, I am simply looking at how two respected translation teams rendered
this passage, and parsing their English rather than the Hebrew. They may
be wrong, but they may also be correct. The following translations also
make "I swore" into a main clause and "when I chose subordinate to it:
RSV, NLT, NIV, TEV. Of the English Bibles on my shelf, only KJV and the
English RV agree with you; the modern translations all agree with me.
Have you learned enough Hebrew now to be sure that the world-renowned
experts on all of these translation teams have (not just possibly, but
certainly) made a mistake?

Re double postings: sorry, but the problem is that this mail server is
wrongly configured, so I have to manually delete your own address, as I
have done this time.

Peter Kirk