b-hebrew - RE: bereshit (still)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit (still)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:47:47 -0000

Ian, do you know enough ENGLISH to realise that "On the day when I chose
Israel, I swore to them" and "On the day when I chose Israel and swore
to them" have a quite different meaning? If the modern English
translators had wanted to, they could have said the latter. But they
said the former, which quite deliberately and unambiguously means
something different.

Peter Kirk