b-hebrew - Re: bereshit (still)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bereshit (still)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:12:14 +0100

Ian, I am simply looking at how two respected translation teams rendered
>this passage, and parsing their English rather than the Hebrew. They may
>be wrong, but they may also be correct. The following translations also
>make "I swore" into a main clause and "when I chose subordinate to it:
>RSV, NLT, NIV, TEV. Of the English Bibles on my shelf, only KJV and the
>English RV agree with you; the modern translations all agree with me.

And I have given you a clear reason for this. You can add the
Douay Version to the short list of older translations which do
the same. The modern Italian version does the same, but Italian
generally supports longer sentences than modern English. The
Schlach German translation does the same, as does the Finnish.
The translation of the Septuagint I use also follows the longer
sentence structure. What about the Vulgate? Do you note the
trend, Peter? It would seem to be requirements of modern English
especially given the older English versions.

We are not dealing with translations but with the original
Hebrew.

>Have you learned enough Hebrew now to be sure that the world-renowned
>experts on all of these translation teams have (not just possibly, but
>certainly) made a mistake?

As I told you last time. There is no mistake involved. We
are dealing with the differences between two languages,
not translations. The translation renders the first
language into a meaningful state in the second. You will
find long sentences translated into more English shorter
sentences as a modern rule. Please don't impute things
that are simply not in my intention.

Ian