b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:23:32 -0000

Ezekiel 20:5, NRSV: "On the day when I chose Israel, I swore to the
offspring...". These translators have taken only the first clause as
dependent on BYOM and the following clauses as main clauses. So, at
least according to one respected translation team, there is no chain of
coordinated clauses governed by b-noun. I accept that the waw is
anomalous, and that according to this model Gen 1:1-2 could be
translated with verse 1 subordinate to verse 2: "At the beginning of God
creating the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void..."
with a new sentence starting at verse 3. Actually this is close to NRSV.
But this is different from what you have been arguing for, the
subordination of verse 2 to bereshit.

Ezekiel 24:25: This is irrelevant as there is only one clause here.

OK, maybe I misunderstood your original goalposts. But wherever they
used to be, they are in the wrong place now.

Peter Kirk