b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:04:18 -0600

On 3/17/02 6:01 AM, "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net> wrote:

>> Hello, Yes , it seems a little strange to hear that the Biblical
>> translators
>> are "informed by the Spirit". With due and great respect, I remember that
>> the most traditional Handbooks of Biblical Hermeneutics ( Anglican, Roman
>> Catholics, etc) always said that the Biblical Writers were inspired by the
>> Spirit but not the Translators.
>
> However the Jews do not share this belief, as far as our commentators
> go - we believe that they - the transmitters of the Oral Torah -
> (which is not only an elaboration of Jewish law, as someone once said
> here on this list) were divinely inspired.

Hi Shoshanna,

Yes, the Oral Torah is viewed to have been inspired (roughly equivalent to
the NT in canonical terms), but I don't know of any Jewish tradition that
views, for example, the targumim as inspired.

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
The next time some academics tell you how important "diversity" is, ask how
many Republicans there are in their sociology department.