b-hebrew - Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:54:07 +0200

..
> Edom and Moab each only worshipped one god (Qos and Kemosh, respectively),
> we don't know the relationship between these peoples and their gods, but
> why wouldn't it have been similar?

These were religions with national gods, similar to Ashur in Assyria and
Marduk in Babylonia. They worshipped other gods as well. I don't know what
bearing the Deir Ala Plaster Inscription has on Ammonite religion, but it
mentions Shaddais and Ashtarot.

> > The only possibility I can see for the origins of such an idea,
> > if it is not
> > purely Israelite, is the worship of Baal Berith in Shechem,
> > where, according
> > to Josh. 24, the Israelites made a covenant with YHWH.
> Yes, but when do you date this passage?

Earlier than the hypothetical Deuteronomistic History. Josh 24 mentions a
holy tree and a holy stone in the temple of YHWH in Shechem - both practices
outlawed by Deuteronomy.
In the story of Abimelech, Jud. 9, the Shechemites have a temple to Baal
Berith. There must be some relationship between the two chapters. More than
that I cannot say.
Jonathan
---
Jonathan D. Safren