b-hebrew - RE: Written by Women.???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Written by Women.???
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:44:14 -0500

The fact that there is no female scribe mentioned at
Elephantine where the women were *very* liberated,
strongly suggests that they were not literate.
Further the small number of scribal names relative to
the thousands of names we have in the Elephantine
papyri suggests that 99% of the men were not literate either.
This in spite of the fact that we are talking about Aramaic,
a purely phonetic alphabetic language.
Liz