b-hebrew - Re: Written by Women.???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Written by Women.???
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:13:02 -0700

> Dave,
>
> > yes, but
> > we have female members of royal families, queens in Egypt and
> > such, so I'm not sure a handful of pictures preserved by the whims
> > of chance really tell us anything as definitive as you suggest.
>
> Yes, we have female members in royal families. That is a very good
> observation of you. Does that suggest that they could write?

Does it suggest they couldn't? Arguments from silence always cut
both ways. And a queen, or a female judge a la Deborah, would
likely have to know how to write. I don't understand your reticence
on this point.

> > Once again, it's easy to say this sort of thing, but I'm still
> > wondering about the "data" you mentioned.
>
> Oh, yes, the data. I did refer to literature, didn't I? Just check it out,
> check the bibliograpphy and in case the data provided there do not convince
> you, put some convincing arguments forward in favour of the contrary
> (please, based on DATA).

No, you didn't refer to literature. You simply said "data that are at
hand." And I really don't see where the burden of proof is on me,
since you're the one making the claim.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis