b-hebrew - Re: Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Inspiration
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:40:56 -0700

As defined by the theological traditions that I am familiar with, it
means "God-breathed," i.e. not just "momentous" or "uplifting" or
some such as Raymond seems to suggest, but actually has its
origin in an act of God. The word Paul uses is "theopneustos"
which means "breathed out by God" and Peter (discussions of
authorship are out of the scope of this list, incidentally) says
"carried along by the Holy Spirit." This is where the precise
meaning of "inspired" comes from, and as I recall, didn't early
Rabbis and other teachers suggest the same thing or something
similar for the HB?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis