b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1, Rashi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1, Rashi
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:02:32 -0300

Dear Bryan,

OK, maybe not so rare. But your analysis is a quite different one, nothing
like Rashi's which had verses 1-2 as clauses dependent on verse 3 as a main
verb. But you are taking verse 1 as an independent sentence. In fact what
you come up with is not very different from the "traditional" understanding
by which I mean "In the beginning God created...", especially since you are
making your regular change of qatal forms to "was a doer".

But how are you actually parsing this sentence? Do you see BARA) as a verb
or as a noun? I don't think it can really be both at the same time, though I
could be persuaded if you can show me other examples of any form acting at
the same time as both a noun at the end of a construct chain and as a finite
verb! (Even in any other language!) I accept that it might be possible to
supply "is" to an otherwise verbless clause, and I suppose that you could
argue that something like that must happen in Isaiah 6:1 (see my separate
posting) if you want to keep the WAYYIQTOL as the start of a new sentence.
But that really does seem forced, much more so than the traditional
intrepretation.

Peter Kirk