b-hebrew - RE: Constructs with finite verb.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Constructs with finite verb.
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:28:11 -0400

But there is no "where" there. That's interpolated.
This is what Milgrom does in the Levitcus quote Byran cites.
Is it not literally "in the city of the encamping of David"?

it looks more
> as though he would be likely to suggest for Gen 1:1 a more relative-
> clause type sense: "In the beginning when God created the
> heavens and the earth etc."
Why not express the construct?
In the beginning of the creating? I thought that was Gesenius' point,
the construct governs the whole sentence.

At least that's how I read it. I quite
> agree that he doesn't say much that is of interpretive value, but this
> is more or less how I read what he does say. Considering the
> quote that was given earlier by someone, the verbal noun idea may
> be what Rashi had in mind; however, I don't see any indication that
> Gesenius is going in the same direction. At the same time, it
> seems to me that if B:R"$IYT is actually a construct, Gesenius'
> approach has real possibilities: "In the beginning, when God
> created the heavens and the earth, the earth was formless and
> empty etc." I could live with this :-)

I thought Gesenius was agreeing with Rashi.
What does it mean to say a construct governs a sentence
when there is a finite verb???

It seems to me there are two separate issues here:
1) a construct with a finite verb,
2) a second VSO clause.

It is (still) my understanding that VSO's in the course of a narrative
are to be translated as concurrent or previous in time to that of the
main verb.
Therefore,
"At the time when God created the heavens and the
earth, the earth had been barren and empty, and darkness covered the face
of the ocean ...

I think much hinges also on the definition of tohu v bohu, because I don't
think it means unformed at all.
This was the description that Jeremiah gave to the midbar.
It is barren, empty, and devoid of life.
What God does is create light and life.

Best,
liz