b-hebrew - Re: Constructs with finite verb.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Constructs with finite verb.
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:13:25 -0300

Thanks, Dave. Maybe we have been talking at cross purposes a little because
of subtle differences between British and American English.

I will just answer the part of this below. As I stated before, I take "the
city where David encamped" to be synonymous with "the city at which David
encamped", in other words, the "where" clause is adjectival (i.e. relative)
modifying "city" rather than adverbial modifying the main verb of the
sentence. But your parsing of Gen 1:1 has "when God created..." as
adverbial, not adjectival or relative modifying "beginning". Now I don't
know what Gesenius meant. I would assume that Gesenius' translator Cowley,
who was a scholar at Oxford, intended the same sense when he translated "the
city where David encamped" (section 130d) as the sense in which I read it.
But he wrote 90 years ago, so I may be wrong.

No, I can't explain why I find "where" acceptable and "when" unacceptable.
It is simply a linguistic fact about my dialect of English.

Peter Kirk