b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Ethics of our Profession

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Ethics of our Profession
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 7:37:9

Jonathan D. Safren wrote:
> [JSafren] First of all, if there were only one possible interpretation,
> there would be no scholarship!

You are right, but a 50% argument is no argument but a hypothesis. So you
can not demonstrate something on this basis.

You may of course draw consequence of the hypothesis. This would be however
of no use since there are no means to independently check the derived
conclusions in any way.

You might even be right with the supposition but for the purpose of the
present discussion its undecissive.

We are moving in a circle.

Best,

Banyai Michael