b-hebrew - Re[2]: `ad hayom hazeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: `ad hayom hazeh
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:15:06 -0500

An interesting simile. Try to imagine yourself in the place of
Copernicus' contemporaries reading Copernicus' dissertation or its
equivalent. No doubt the same simile would apply to them. Why? Not
because Copernicus was wrong; rather, because the fundamental
worldview and presuppositions of the contemporaries was being
challenged. But eventually they, or the next generation, were forced
to accept that Copernicus was right. Now people like Bimson and Rohl
may be wrong; but maybe also they are right, but unacceptable at
present because their ideas are simply too revolutionary. Please bear
in mind this possibility before rejecting hypotheses on the grounds
that most scholars don't accept them.

Peter Kirk