b-hebrew - RE: `ad hayom hazeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Silver Eiger' <silver.eiger AT mail.ee>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: `ad hayom hazeh
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:18:27 +0100

> Why should we doubt about the Scriptural record of Joshua and Jericho, and
> prefer the ideas of sceptical
> archaeologists?

Well, his relative Kenyon did not find anything during her model
excavations in the 1950s and she was not a sceptical archaeologist. Now the
Italians (some of the people from Ebla--Marchetti and Negro) are digging at
Jericho together with the Palestinians. The fist volume has been published
(Quaderni di Jericho, 1998 or 99). I do not think that they have so far
found anything that disproves Kenyon. Jericho is one of the best excavated
and best published places in Palestine. So there is reason for doubt if one
wants to ask critical questions at all.

I read Bimson's dissertaion many years ago and found like trying to
prove that the sun circulates around the earth. I.e. I found the argument
very twisted and complicated. He has very few followers among archaeologists
whatever school they may belong to.

NPL