b-hebrew - Re: `ad hayom hazeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jan-Wim Wesselius" <jww AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: `ad hayom hazeh
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:14:30 +0100

Well, I would say that such indications at most indicate at what date the
author or final redactor wanted his readers to think the text was written,
which is interesting enough of course, though very few of these indications
are specific enough to pinpoint the intended time.

Abravanel's interest (as well as Spinoza's or Ibn Ezra's) in the expression
is much more limited, as far as I know (I am hardly an expert), as he
apparently wants to demonstrate that both the Former Prophets and the Torah
[sic] may ultimately derive from the period which they describe, but have
been redacted and added unto extensively until the period of the Exile. With
names, words and expressions like "Dan" or "the other side of the Jordan" it
belongs since the Middle Ages to the stock arguments against Mosaic
authorship of the Torah.

Jan-Wim Wesselius, Hoekenes 26A, 1068 MT Amsterdam
Tel. 020 - 619 1535; fax 020 - 619 1636; e-mail jww AT xs4all.nl