b-hebrew - Re: `ad hayom hazeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: `ad hayom hazeh
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:40:42 -0700

Baruch wrote:
> R. Isaac Abravanel in his introduction to Joshua mentions such verses as
> proof that the story was written _much_later_ than the events. Otherwise,
> what is so special that it (whatever it is in each verse) remains "till
> this day"?

What seems to me to be special about "till this day" is the
prospect of defining "this day" and thus establishing a date of
writing. So far I've seen a couple of names mentioned who claim
that the phrase indicates late dates, but I haven't seen any details.
I'm interested in summaries of HOW these people reached such
conclusions.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11