b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Walter Mattfeld <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalies
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:18:55 +0200

Walter Mattfeld wrote:

> I have also pointed out that the Hebrew Bible's chronology supports an
> Exodus date sometime in the 16th century BCE (contra 1 Ki.6:1), the same
> century as the Hyksos expulsion. It follows that the destroyed archaelogical
> ruins found in Canaan in the 13th century cannot be "Joshua's conquest". In
> order for scholars to maintain that it is, they have had to "butcher up" the
> Bible's chronology, denying an Exodus circa 1440 BCE (cf. 1 Kings 6:1).

Dear Walter,
How can you on the one hand accept the artificial chronology of the Torah and
Kings
(480 yrs. from the Exodus to Solomon's temple = 12 x 40 = typological x
typological =
fictitious) and on the other hand not accept Mosaic authorship of the
Pentateuch and
date it instead to Exilic times? Do you mean to say that when the Pentateuch
was
finally edited and the chronological framework was added, someone actually
had records
of the length of time from the Exodus to the completion of the Solomonic
Temple?
Aren't you being inconsistent in dealing with the veracity of the Biblical
material?
Sincerely,

Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies