b-hebrew - Re[2]: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalies
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:43:05 -0500

[JSafrem] A horde of 2,000,000 stretching out 100-200 km wouldn't have
been able to see the pillar of fire, both because of the distance of
most of the Israelites from the pillar and because of the curvature of
the earth.

PK: Depends on how tall the pillar of fire was. We are not told. A
pillar 10,000 metres high could be seen from a lot more than 200km
away on a clear desert night. Flash flooding might even have allowed
the Israelites to wash their clothes. Obviously the timing would have
to be a wonderful coincidence. But please stick to arguments that are
really sound. I accept that there is a problem with 2,000,000 people
being assembling around the mountain. But the solution is not found by
mocking the beliefs of many.

Peter Kirk