b-hebrew - Re: Mal 1:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ray Clendenen" <rclende AT lifeway.com>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mal 1:11
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 06:41:00 -0600

Ray Clendenen@BSSBNOTES
01/24/2000 06:41 AM

<<Why express mizrax and bo' as east and west? Wouldn't you
rather maintain the active/verbal sense of the Hebrew
wording?>>

Thanks for the comments, Bryan. I would like to follow your suggestion
here, but it makes it sound as if the idiom is temporal rather than
spatial. Since I think spatial is the point, I think I have to stick with
east/west, but I have a "Lit" footnote giving the other.

I like your suggestion about using the dash.

Since I think the context suggests the future, I'd rather stick with future
tense in translation. Your suggestion makes it sound to me like the worship
of the nations was occurring at the time of Malachi.

Thanks,
Ray Clendenen
Broadman & Holman

  • Mal 1:11, Ray Clendenen, 01/20/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Mal 1:11, Bryan Rocine, 01/22/2000
    • Re: Mal 1:11, Ray Clendenen, 01/24/2000