b-hebrew - Re[4]: Ur Kasdim II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Ur Kasdim II
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 22:36:26 -0500

_________________________________
Subject: Re[3]: Ur Kasdim II
Author: <npl AT teol.ku.dk> at Internet
Date: 04/01/2000 17:49

GAG, W. von Soden, Grudriss der akkadischen Grammatik, 1952, 2. ed. 1969,
still the standard Ggrammer of Akkadian. I guess that Safran means
Neo-Assyrian and Neo-Babylonian.

PK: Thank you. I must learn some Akkadian sometime. Is there any good
introductory grammar in English?

The argument about Ur-Kasdim as an anachronism has been around for several
generations of scholars. I do not know who proposed it the first time. Maybe
Westermann has it.

PK: Sometimes the oldest ideas are the best ones!

NPL

<snip>

> On the other hand, we have the data, new to this thread, that
> according to Deuteronomy 26:5 Abraham was an Aramean [Niels Peter Lemche]
> No, it is Jacob who became a great nation.

PK: True, probably, if so my mistake. On the other hand, did Jacob get
his nationality from his mother or his wives? Even if that is modern
Jewish law, it doesn't seem to have been the custom reflected in
Genesis, e.g. Ishmael, Ephraim and Manasseh are not reckoned as
Egyptians. No, I guess the implication from Deuteronomy is that all of
the patriarchs considered Arameans.

<snip>

Peter Kirk