b-hebrew - Re[2]: Ur Kasdim II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Ur Kasdim II
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 15:33:11 -0500

Please can you explain "before NB and NA". And what is GAG?

Of course even if we can date the expression "Ur Kasdim", it tells us
nothing about where Abraham may have come from, and not much about the
dating of Genesis or the relevant part of it (11:28,31). No doubt the
author would have used the name in use at his/her own time for the
city which (according to his/her narration) Abraham came from, at
least if it was still a well-known place. I doubt if the author had
the sense of anachronism which some of us have now, which stops us
saying that these places are in Turkey or Iraq (though apparently it's
OK to use Greek names like Syria and Mesopotamia anachronistically).
And the name may have been further updated by editors after the
original composition of Genesis.

Genesis 11:31 also seems to imply that (in the author's mind at least)
Ur was quite a long way from Haran. It would be rather ridiculous to
set out on a long journey to Canaan only to abandon it at the next
town!

On the other hand, we have the data, new to this thread, that
according to Deuteronomy 26:5 Abraham was an Aramean. In Genesis,
Bethuel and Laban are described as Arameans (25:20, 28:5, 31:20,24 -
Aramaic words are put on the latter's lips, 31:47) and also presented
as Abraham's nephew (compare 24:47 with 11:27,29) and great-nephew.
This name may seem to be anachronistic for the traditional patriarchal
age, but perhaps was given in the sense of "inhabitants of the area
known as Aram", or maybe they were indeed the ancestors of the people
who later became well-known as the Arameans. Note that none of them
are ever described as Kasdim. The data would fit with Terah's clan
being (proto-)Arameans who had migrated to a southern Ur (later known
as Ur Kasdim) but later migrated northwards, perhaps back to their
place of origin in what later become known as Aram or Paddan-Aram.

Peter Kirk