b-hebrew - SV: Ur Kasdim II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'Jonathan D. Safren'" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Ur Kasdim II
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:53:12 +0100

Jonathan,

first you have to see to which families of Akkadianthe sd>ld change does
apply. I will look up my GAG and also Hühnergard's new grammer when I am
back home. Second you have to find evidence of the connection between the
Chaldeans and the Aramaeans that is older than the first mentioning of the
Chaldeans from the 9th century. Second you have to explain why there is only
references to Chaldeans from the 9th - 8th century from S. mesopotamia and
then you have to hypotheze about an original home in the north. You also
have to posit the old ideas about immigrations. A lot of things to do to
find a alternative place for Ur kasdim. However, I believe this was
originally Cyrus Gordon's idea.

NPL