b-hebrew - RE: Re[4]: Ur Kasdim II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'peter_kirk AT sil.org'" <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[4]: Ur Kasdim II
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:38:13 +0100

There are a series of Akkadian grammars in English, one by Kaspar
Riemschneider. I only have the german original, Lehrbuch des Alladischen, 5.
Aufl. Leipzig 1988. I have used it several times in the classroom and with
good results although at the end you gt bored because of all the omen texts
(if such material is not your preferred reading). Second, a short one by
Richard Caplice, Introduction to Akkadian, 3. ed, Rome, Biblical Institute,
1988. It is short and probably a very reasonable first introduction. The
third is recent and very comprehensive, John Hühnergard, A Grammar of
Akkadian, Atlanta, Scholars, 1997. If I ever again have a class in
Akkadfian, I will use this volume.

About the patriarchs. You are probably right, although Dtn 26 only speaks
about 'my father', and not 'my fathers'.

NPL